Welcome to Parklands Primary School, Leeds
A Welcome message from our Head Teacher - Mr C. Dyson
Welcome to Parklands Primary School, quite simply the greatest school in the world. As I start my seventh year in this fantastic learning hub, I am so proud of the resilience showed during #Covid19. It was a testing time but the children completed lots of ‘on line’ learning and lots of ‘paper based’ learning. We promised that we would keep tummies full during the pandemic and I am proud to say that we provided 90,000 meals to our community and beyond!
I am amazed with the success that our previous 6 years has seen. We start year seven with an OUTSTANDING rating from Ofsted and with some of the HIGHEST scores in KS2 in the whole country! We have record scores in KS1; Parklands are significantly scoring higher scores than the National Average. Our Good Level of Development score in Reception this year showed excellent progress from the on entry data. The Y1 Phonics scores (see INFORMATION > PERFORMANCE DATA section) continue to go from strength to strength. As a National Leader in Education and a National Support School with two Specialist Leaders in Education in Maths and English we have been supporting other schools and welcoming many visitors to share with them the Parklands magic.
We all love to see our children succeed but here at Parklands we like to enrich our beautiful children through the curriculum. We are the chosen school to work with Northern Ballet both in terms of job interviews with new dance teachers to ‘testing’ new dance programmes for schools. We have links with businesses across UK and Yorkshire. Last year we had over 2000 volunteers who helped transform the 17 acres of school grounds, we were shortlisted for the TES Maths School of the Year; Primary School of the Year and Overall School of the Year. In 2017 we won the TES BUSINESS COLLABORATION NATIONAL AWARD.
We welcomed many visitors including bestselling author Cressida Cowell, Look North, Chris Naylor-Ballesteros – children’s author, Lord Mayor Cllr Jane Dawson, BBC1’s Saturday Morning Kitchen , BBC Breakfast News, Dame Alison Peacock and literacy guru Ros Wilson (who works a day a week in school now), Russell Howard, Phil Bateman, MC Grammar, Lewis Smith, Jamie Redknapp, Sky Sports, Sky News, ITV News at 10, BBC National News. Roll on 2020 21. Who will visit next?
We love our school and are very proud of our achievements. We place great importance on learning and creating a learning community for children and adults. Key Stage Two children have taken part in the Children’s University, Year 6 enjoyed our first ever arts week with workshops including dance, drama and 3D printing. Visits have included a whole school trip to Bridlington, Reception visiting Hesketh Farm, a Year 4 trip to Eureka and in school workshops including a visit from Sam’s Safaris, Flamenco dancing, drumming and whole school STEAM day. We have celebrated Black History month as well having a Multi Cultural Week. We are a highly inclusive school and make sure that everyone can succeed in a place where they feel safe, happy and well.
Safeguarding children is very, very important to us. We take great care in making sure that our policies reflect our practice and procedures.
We always tell children that they have talents and futures. We are the ‘dream makers.’ who ‘Praise loudly and Grizzles softly.’ We have a range of exciting lunch time and after school clubs with Professional external agencies.
Children have a voice at our school. They are encouraged to help make decisions about changes we are making. Some children are chosen to be on the School Council after a full democratic election.
We work as one great BIG team at Parklands. This includes children, staff, families, Governors, volunteers and other regular visitors.
Our Friends of Parklands are a much valued team of volunteers who help with various activities in school and trips outside of school.
Parklands is a pretty special place… well, we think so and welcome you to visit and take a good look around. Please enjoy our WHAT VISITORS SAY about the best school in the world. I have an open door policy and you will always be welcome here. You are sure to get a feel for what we are all about as soon as you walk in!
Come and see what we are and what we do! Let’s have another brilliant year.
Welcome to our brilliant, happy, vibrant school. We hope you enjoy looking around our site; if you are inspired come along and see for yourself what we are really like in person. We are proud here to share our values with you.
- We vote for and elect our school council and House Captains.
- We asked all the children in school what they wanted on the playground and then using our £14,000 budget, we created a state of the art play area. The result has seen lunchtime incidents become very rare.
- We asked for ‘children’s choice’ school lunches….. and what fruit KS2 children would enjoy.
- We can write a letter to our HT at anytime and he replies back after speaking with his SLT. Our last success was gaining a Halloween Disco.
Rules of Law
- Each class has their own class rules to learn. These are decided by the class for the class.
- The school rules were written by the school council and delivered to the whole school via an assembly.
- In school and class we are encouraged to ask for anything because we don’t fear people saying no. We have class discussions frequently and we can share our thoughts on anything.
- We respect others no matter how we look, or what gender we are; or what race or religion we are. We detest any form of Racism.
- We respect and acknowledge that different children in school celebrate different religious festivals. We ask and enjoy learning about Eid and Diwali.
- Promoting British Values