Parklands Maths Hub
Parents Home Help Page
Many thanks to Simon Kidwell and Hartford Manor CP School for allowing us to share this brilliant work.
Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives.
Through our mathematics lessons at Parklands it is our aim to develop:
- Enjoyment and enthusiasm for mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics.
- Confidence and fluency in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills.
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life.
- An ability to solve problems, by applying their skills to a variety of routine and non-routine problems. To reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- An ability to reason mathematically and explain relationships using mathematical language.
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment.
- Initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
Teaching and learning style
The school uses a variety of teaching and learning styles in mathematics lessons. Our principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in mathematics. We do this through a daily mathematics lesson where children are given opportunities for:
- Practical activities and mathematical games
- Problem solving
- Open and closed tasks
- Individual, group and whole class discussions and activities
- A range of methods of calculating e.g. mental, pencil and paper and using a calculator
- Working with computers as a mathematical tool
- Using a wide range of support resources e.g. number squares, digit cards and number lines
- Using and applying their learning in everyday situation
Maths games to play at home
Help with learning tables – multiplication.com
Variety of KS1 and KS2 games – top marks.com
Games for KS2 and advice for parents – Mad4maths.com
I am writing to thank you and Laura for delivering a very informative session at the Leeds mathematics subject leader meeting on 14th September 2016.
Fifty seven delegates including head teachers, deputy head teachers and mathematics subject leaders attended the day and really appreciated your honest and open approach to sharing how you have improved the outcomes in mathematics at Parklands Primary School. Below are comments from delegates:
‘Very inspirational talk from Chris and Laura at Parklands, what a fabulous start to the day. Lots of great ideas were shared and a realistic view of school life and how to improve maths.’
‘Inspirational listening to such a passionate head that has had such a focus (and impact) on the delivery of maths.’
‘Really useful to listen to staff from Parklands, lots of brilliant ideas that we can ‘magpie.’
Many thanks for making the day a great success. I look forward to working with you again in the future and many thanks for your time.Karen Knepper
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! What a morning! Can’t thank you enough for the efforts you went to and for sending me to such an inspiring school Parklands Primary School – Seacroft!!. I think Caroline felt the same way. I’ve never seen a school so passionate and determined to support and improve the lives of everyone in a community. Completely bowled me over.
It was amazing to see maths in action using your Long Term plan. The ‘conceptual, pictorial, abstract’ process was clearly evident across the school and the children absolutely loved maths. The teaching was also incredible – my ears are still echoing with, “Why / Show me how / Explain how you know that / Prove it.”
I’m now going to go back to school and revisit the White Rose resources again. I’m now convinced it’s the right way forward to try and teach in this way.
Please pass on a massive thank you to your transformative team and for being so open and willing to share everything you’re doing. I hope other areas of education take a leaf out of your hub’s book.
Well what a morning we have just spent in Parklands Leeds. We came from Trinity Academy in Halifax, home to the White Rose Maths Hub, to see for ourselves the amazing job that you are doing adding depth and reasoning to your Maths development. We can honestly say that every class we visited had an amazing buzz around maths. The resources were plentiful and the children really could explain the depth of their thinking. The times tables from Y1 to Y6 simply was breathtaking. How on earth is it possible to answer a times table and giving the answer as a number bond to 100 in a fraction of a second? 6×8 = 52 (6×8 = 48 so its 52 to 100) Seeing is believing. It was a pleasure meeting the amazing Mr Dyson who quite simply is inspiring a whole community. Thank you for showcasing your brilliant maths (and school) and being an excellent partner to us at the White Rose Maths Hub.Caroline Hamilton